Test Out Complete Streets “Pop Ups” on Broadway
Caltrans and partners have been working toward implementing the vision laid out in the Broadway Multimodal Corridor Plan, and soon will test out some proposed improvements. Throughout the month of May, pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers will encounter “pop-up demonstrations” along the Broadway portion of U.S. 101 in Eureka. These test demonstrations will include the temporary installation of materials such as vertical cone-like delineators and paint to analyze proposed improvements before possible construction. Proposed improvements include class IV bikeways, curb extensions, and traffic calming features.
The projects under development are intended to enhance safety for all road users, improve connections to local roads, improve transit access for pedestrians and cyclists, and make walking and bicycling a more enjoyable experience on Broadway.
Feedback from stakeholders and community members will be used to adjust project designs before permanent construction. Look for a survey to be posted on broadwaypopups.com once the pop-ups are installed. You can also find more information on the pop-up demonstration features and project background at broadwaypopups.com.
Bike Month Events
- May 7-13: Bike to Work Week in Arcata and there are some sweet deals that week for biking to Bike Friendly Businesses.
- Thursday May 11: Bike to Work Day Arcata. Start with an Energizer Station at Arcata Co-Op 7am-9:30am and Noon Rally at the Plaza 12pm-1pm.
- Friday May 12: Bike-thru Breakfast at Revolution Bikes Arcata store, 7am-9am.
- Saturday May 13: Fortuna Bike Rodeo, 10am-1pm Newburg Park. Contact Emily Apodaca at firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 14 – 20: Bike to Work Week Eureka
- Tuesday May 16: Eureka Mural Ride, departing at 5:30 pm from under the Samoa Bridge. Take a loop around Old Town and up to Henderson Center to enjoy some of Eureka’s murals.
- Thursday May 18: Bike to Work Day Eureka. Energizer Station at Eureka Co-Op 7am-9:30am
- Friday May 19: Bike-thru Breakfast at Revolution Bikes Eureka store, 7am-9am.
- Saturday May 20: Bicycle Celebration and Expo at the Jefferson Community Center Park (1000 A Street, Eureka) 11am-2pm. See poster for details of group rides.
- Saturday May 20: Arcata Bike Rodeo Creamery District, 10am-12pm. Contact Jak Kirchubel email@example.com
- Memorial Weekend: Follow along the human-powered Kinetic Sculpture Race or join the Bigfoot Big Life ride.
Bike Month Challenges!
- Bike Month Challenge: May 1- 31. Learn more at bikemonthhumboldt.org.
- Bike Commuter and Workplace Challenge: May 1 through May 20. Take a picture of your bike commute and tag #bikemonthhumboldt23 to enter. Winners will be announced at Bicycle Celebration May 20, includes category for best workplace group picture.
- Pledge to Pedal: Take the Pledge to Pedal and commit to ride! bikemonthhumboldt.org/pledge-to-pedal