Fall, Spring and Summer semesters
The Northcoast Environmental Center (NEC) is offering a EcoNews Internship for Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters. The NEC publishes EcoNews, a bimonthly, bioregional environmental newspaper, and also publishes content on the NEC website for online distribution. EcoNews has been published for over 45 years and is one of the country’s oldest bioregional environmental publications.
Hours per week will vary depending on the publication cycle, but 60 hours are required for internship credit. To view past issues of EcoNews online, visit www.yournec.org/econews.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research and submit 3-4 approved and completed articles, under the direction of the EcoNews editor, for publication in EcoNews and/or the NEC website during internship.
- Assist with proofreading and editing of submitted articles.
- Assist with layout of EcoNews using Adobe InDesign.
- Creation of ads and other graphic materials for publication.
- Assist with other EcoNews production tasks as interest and needs provide.
- Experience updating website content helpful
- Assist with NEC fundraisers and outreach events as needed
- Must be an HSU student to receive internship credit. (Student status not required if credit is not needed).
- Journalism students preferred, but other majors also considered.
- Ability to remain flexible and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word.
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign strongly preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator preferred
- Demonstrated skills in writing and communication.
- Knowledge of conservation and environmental issues, community organizing and activism preferred.
Send cover letter indicating your interest in environmental issues and why you are interested in this internship, resume specifying relevant experience, two writing samples, a letter of recommendation addressing your writing/journalism or relevant skills, and your predicted weekly availability schedule to Rhiannon Lewis-Stephenson, Office Assistant.
Submission via email (pdf, doc) is preferred: Rhiannon@yournec.org
By US Mail:
Northcoast Environmental Center
Attn: Rhiannon Lewis-Stephenson
PO Box 4259