The Northcoast Environmental Center (NEC) is offering an Ocean Night Internship. The NEC is one of the country’s oldest bioregional environmental organizations and manages several coastal programs, produces a bi-month newspaper and hosts EcoNews Report every Thursday on KHSU.
The internship will be June-November. Hours per week will vary, but 60 hours (10/month) are expected for the duration of the internship and for internship credit. Most work will be done during weekdays. HSU course credit might be available depending on your department offerings, so please consult with your faculty advisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in organizing, planning and advertising of Ocean Night at Arcata Theater Lounge
- Recruit sponsorships using the Ocean Night Sponsorship packet
- Act as the Ocean Night representative and contact for the NEC
- Before event: Decide film line-up, publicize event, confirm screening day, confirm screening rights for films, communicate with the Arcata Theater Lounge, Surfrider, and any speakers at the event.
- At event: Set-up, table, announce raffle, take tickets, etc.
- Table at each monthly Ocean Night (usually the 1st Thursday of the month).
- Meet weekly with the Programs Coordinator
- Present at the end of their internship to NEC board and staff on their accomplishments and lessons learned
- Must be an HSU student to receive internship credit
- Ability to remain flexible and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Availability over the summer and beginning of the school year
- Experience planning events
- Reliable, organized, and good with people.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and communication, and email communication
- Preferred knowledge of conservation and environmental issues, community organizing and activism
This internship has been filled for the summer. Please check back in the fall for the next round!