July 18 – 25
- Responsibilities, Rules, & Important Dates 2020
- Citizen Science: Trash Data Collection How-To
- Best Trash-Picking Spots Guide
- Family Friendly Scavenger Hunt & Coloring Pages
What is Trash-A-Thon?
Similar to a walk-a-thon, where you raise money from sponsors for each mile walked, Trash-a-thon is a way of raising donations for the number of pieces of trash that are picked up within a 24-hour timeframe.
Anyone can volunteer to pick up trash, either as an individual or in teams of 2-5 people. Leading up to the day of the cleanup, volunteers are encouraged to collect pledges (donations) from their network. A suggested pledge could range anywhere from $0.05 – $5 per piece of trash.
Citizen science is a very important part of Coastal Programs at the NEC. Our Coastal Program’s staff and volunteers track marine and neighborhood debris to find local waste patterns (what kind of trash is being found and where) so we can advocate for waste reduction solutions in our community.
Additionally, all funds raised from Trash-a-thon support the NEC’s Coastal Programs (Adopt-A-Block, Adopt-A-Beach, Zero Waste Coastal Cleanup Day, Fisheries Waste Management, and Zero Waste Lending Library).The NEC works on a shoestring budget and succeeds only with determination, devotion and aid from great volunteers. For 50 years, the NEC has served as a vital hub for information and programs that involve, inform and inspire residents with regard to environmental issues that matter most on California’s North Coast. From watershed awareness and climate action to beach cleanups and celebratory all-species parades, the NEC has been at the forefront for all of us.
How To Sign Up
Register yourself or your team at Go.Rallyup.com/trashathon2020
Deadline to sign up is Friday, July 17.
Once you have registered, it’s time to get pledges! Contact your family, friends, co-workers, community, etc. and ask if they’d like to make a donation. We highly encourage that all pledgers donate through Go.Rallyup.com/trashathon2020
If pledgers would prefer to donate via cash or check, we encourage checks to be made out to the volunteers, and volunteers make a donation through go.rallyup.com/trashathon2020 on the pledger’s behalf.
If you are not comfortable using the website, please call the email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the NEC office at 707-826-3357 and we will gladly help you register or make a donation online.
- Anyone is eligible to compete. The only requirement for participation is that each participant must secure at least one pledge.
- An individual cannot be on more than one team.
- Team captains and/or individuals must report their trash numbers on rallyup.com, turn in the team’s Trash Collection Data Card(s) and money for all team members to the NEC by the stated deadline(s).
- Each team may have between 2 – 5 members
- The cleanup must be completed in a continuous 24-hour period.
Looking for more debris removal activities? Participate in this years Coastal Cleanup Day!